AeroTex GmbH was established in 2018, in Vienna, Austria. The company is a consultancy focused purely on the issue of in-flight icing. Despite being a young company, it contains a significant amount of experience. AeroTex GmbH has full usage rights for the suite of analysis tools developed by AeroTex UK LLP, which have a demonstrated capability spanning many years. Our capability includes ice detection and protection systems, numerical analysis, icing wind tunnel test support and certification support.
Richard Moser, Managing Director
ARAeS, MEng (Hons)
Richard has been involved in aircraft icing for over 21 years, working on a wide range of projects, including fundamental research (Super-cooled Large Droplets, SLD), civil jet transports (Boeing 787) and rotorcraft (Merlin and Apache). He has been heavily involved in both the development and application of several icing codes (2D and 3D), and has taken part in many icing wind tunnel test campaigns, including acting as Trials Manager, in some of the worlds major icing test facilities. He has also participated in natural icing flight trials for the Merlin and Apache helicopters. Richard is recognised internationally within the aircraft icing world, having organised and chaired sessions for both AIAA and SAE conferences. He has been an independent aircraft icing consultant since 2007.
- Palmer, R., Roberts, I., Moser, R., Hatch, C. et al., “Non-Spherical Particle Trajectory Modelling for Ice Crystal Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1961, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1961
- Moser, R. and Roberts, I., “Numerical Optimisation of a Helicopter Engine Inlet Electrothermal Ice Protection System,” SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2(1):265-271, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2042
- Hatch, C., Gent, R., and Moser, R., “Initial Results from a Hybrid Electro-Thermal Electro-Mechanical Simulation Tool (HETEMS),” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2142, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2142
- Roger Gent, James Ford, Richard Moser and Dean Miller, “Results from SLD Mass Loss Tests in the ACT Luton Icing Research Wind Tunnel”, 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, 6-9 January 2003, Reno, Nevada, AIAA paper 2003-389, https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2003-389
- Moser, R. and Gent, R., “Analysis for the Design and Test of an Ice Protection System for a Scoop Intake,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0055, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0055
- Hatch, C., Moser, R., Gent, R., and Hicks, P., “The Building Blocks for a Hybrid ElectroThermal-ElectroMechanical Simulation Tool,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0035, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0035
- Strehlow, R. and Moser, R., “Capitalizing on the Increased Flexibility that Comes from High Power Density Electrothermal Deicing,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3165, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-3165
- Moser, R. and Gent, R., “Experience from Application of a 3D Ice Accretion Code,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2133, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2133
- Gent, R., Ford, J., Moser, R., and Miller, D., “SLD Research in the UK,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2128, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2128
- Gent, R., Moser, R., Cansdale, J., and Dart, N., “The Role of Analysis in the Development of Rotor Ice Protection Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2090, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2090
Wolfgang Breitfuß, Aircraft Icing Engineer
Wolfgang has more than 6 years of experience in aircraft icing. He spent 5 years in the RTA Icing Wind Tunnel (IWT) as project manager for commercial, national and international R&D projects, and was responsible for the calibration of the IWT. His research activities focused on the further development of experimental SLD and snow simulation. He joined AeroTex in 2022 as an “Aircraft Icing Engineer”. He is also a member of the SAE AC-9C.
- Lucke, J., Jurkat-Witschas, T., Heller, R., Hahn, V., Hamman, M., Breitfuss, W., Bora, V. R., Moser, M., and Voigt, C., “Icing wind tunnel measurements of supercooled large droplets using the 12 mm total water content cone of the nevzorov probe,” Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, vol. 15, Dec. 2022, pp. 7375–7394
- Moser, R., Reinholz, B., Breitfuß, W., Diebald, S., Kollmann, P., Humpel, S., Puffing, R., Kozomara, D., Schweighart, S., Hassler, W., Neubauer, T., and Tramposch, A., “Generation of validation data for an electrothermal ice protection system,” AIAAAVIATION 2022 Forum, Jun. 2022
- Kozomara, D., Neubauer, T., Puffing, R., Bednar, I., and Breitfuss, W., “Experimental investigation on the effects of icing on multicopter UAS operation,” AIAA AVIATION 2021 FORUM, Aug. 2021
- Lang, B., Breitfuss, W., Schweighart, S., Breitegger, P., Pervier, H., Tramposch, A., Klug, A., Hassler, W., and Bergmann, A., “Photoacoustic hygrometer for icing wind tunnel water content measurement: Design, analysis, and Intercomparison,” Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, vol. 14, March 2021, pp. 2477–2500
- Breitfuß, W., Wannemacher, M., Knöbl, F., and Ferschitz, H., “Aerodynamic Comparison of Freezing Rain and Freezing Drizzle Conditions at the RTA Icing Wind Tunnel,” SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2(1):245-255, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2023
- Ferschitz, H., Wannemacher, M., Bucek, O., Knöbel, F., Breitfuß, W., “Development of SLD Capabilities in the RTA Icing Wind Tunnel,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 10(1):12-21, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-9001.
Ariane Vieira, Aircraft Icing Engineer
Ariane has over 9 years of experience in CFD simulations using 2D and 3D open-source codes. At the end of 2018, she moved to Austria to pursue her Ph.D. at Vienna Technical University. The subject of her research was LES simulations around complex bodies in shear stress flows. In 2023, she joined AeroTex as an “Aircraft Icing Engineer.”
- J. Waringer, S. Vitecek, J. Martini, C. Zittra, Vieira, A., H. C. Kuhlmann, 2022, ‘Case design and flow resistance in high-alpine caddisfly larvae (Insecta, Trichoptera)’, Hydrobiologia 849 4259-4271
- Vieira, A., Kuhlmann, H., Waringer, J., Zittra, C., Vitecek, S. 2021, ‘Numerical simulation of the flow around larvae from the Drusinae subfamily’, 74th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics
- Vieira, A., Kuhlmann, H., Waringer, J., Zittra, C., Martini, J., Handschuh, S., Vitecek, S. 2021, ‘Turbulent channel flow past a wall-mounted cuboid,’ 9th International Conference on Vortex Flow Mechanics – ICVFM2021 Virtual Conference
- Vieira, A., Kuhlmann, H., Waringer, J., Zittra, C., Martini, J., Handschuh, S., Vitecek, S. 2020, ‘Large Eddy Simulation of turbulent channel flow past a wall-mounted cube,’ Austrian High-Performance-Computing Meeting (AHPC2020). Klosterneuburg, Austria: IST Austria p. 32.
- Waringer, J., Vitecek, S., Martini, J., Zittra, C., Handschuh, S., Vieira, A., Kuhlmann, H. 2020b, ‘Hydraulic stress parameters of a cased caddis larva (Drusus biguttatus) using spatio-temporally filtered velocity measurements,’ Hydrobiologia 847, 3437–3451.
- Waringer, J., Vitecek, S., Martini, J., Zittra, C., Handschuh, S., Vieira, A., Kuhlmann, H. 2020a, ‘Hydraulic niche utilization by larvae of the three Drusinae clades (Insecta: Trichoptera),’ Biologia pp. 1336–9563.
- Vieira, A., A. L F. Lima E Silva, S. M. M. Lima E Silva, 2018, ‘Numerical analysis of laminar mixed convection from a rotating cylinder in cross flow,’ ENCIT 2018 Conference